Wind in the Cliffs of Dover

Wind in the Cliffs of Dover
Marvel Comics backpack, trench coat, blue scarf. A lovely windy day on the cliffs of Dover.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

When Plan A becomes Plan B


I have surgery tomorrow. 
Wow. I have surgery tomorrow. You have no idea how excited I am. I would lie if I said I wasn't scared too, but after spending 4 hours on Friday at The University of Washington talking to my surgeons and medical staff, we have come to an agreement as to what will happen. 


But, first here are those images that I promised! Most people don't realize how big this thing is until they see the images. I didn't realize just how big it was until this Friday! The funny thing is when Dr. Byrd was showing me the size, I realized that it is not the size of a baby's head. No, it is the size of a whole baby! It's longer than wider, which unfortunately you can't see fully in these X-ray images, but you will most definitely get the point! I made a red circle around the cyst so you could know for sure that that is indeed what you are looking at. =P
Zoomin' In!

My spine still looks misaligned... 


It's Fantastic, no? 
Theories.
There are many ways I could have gotten this baby, but the main theory is from a car accident I was in back in 2006. We were rear ended while my mom was driving and I was in the passenger seat. I did have my seat belt on, but I had my body twisted with my left arm around my mom's seat, so that I could talk to her. My spine was misaligned from this accident and I had to see a chiropractor twice a week for a year to get it fixed. I didn't have any problems with my spleen then, but it could have cause a small gash and the cyst could have been forming since. 

That's only one theory. Any time that I have fallen or been hit in the side could have caused it. Dear lord we are fragile! It's kind of ridiculous. I've at least had this sucker since last May, but I could have had it growing for over 6 years! 

This past week has been awful. I have been in so much pain that I have barely gotten any sleep. Trying to jam a quarter's worth of work into two weeks probably wasn't the best of my ideas, but for the most part I pulled through. I'll still have to take my finals and do some final projects when I get back next quarter, but after tonight recovering is my only priority. After tonight, no more throwing up once to twice a day, crouching over in pain from walking, sitting, standing, or having to sit around while my muscles atrophy! Haha 

A Plan is a plan is a plan...
So, my surgery is all planned out and I am ay-okay with the changes that have occurred. My surgeon has acquired the help of two fellow surgeons who specialize in laparoscopic surgery. Doing my surgery laparoscopically wasn't an option before, but after looking closer into my case they want to try. They want to try to remove the cyst through laparoscopic fenestration. What this means is that they will make 3 or 4 small incisions in my side and through there cut a large square in the cyst and suction the liquid out. Dr. Byrd says they have to make the incision large enough that the cyst can't grow back, but it growing back is a possibility. It all depends on if they make the cut big enough. Though this is the current plan, they explained that this cyst isn't as simple as they'd like and that they will only continue with this method as long as it goes perfectly. If it's not working, because the cyst has made itself at home in my body they will go back to 'Plan A'. 

old Plan A
Plan A was an open splenectomy. The recovery time would be much longer and their are more risks with an open surgery. They want to save my spleen if at all possible, because I already get sick easily and it's a useful organ to have. =P  The main thing is that the cyst has kind of taken over my body which may cause some serious difficulties in surgery, but at least from what they can tell it is benign. We can have a little bit of a splash zone without too many worries. 

Whatever happens, I am just thankful to be getting this thing out! I wan't a better quality of life. It's really been taking a toll on me the past year and especially this last month! I am thankful to have extras surgeons on my case, even if it's mostly because they think my cyst is cool, lol. Dr. Byrd said the other surgeons were more than happy to help since it's a very rare form of cyst. Haha, wow. It's okay, I'm getting the best care available and that's what counts. 

This is it. Seriously, now I have to go shower with special-germ-exterminating-soap... =P
So, if I could ask one thing of you.. Keep me and my family in your thoughts tomorrow. If you pray, say a prayer for us. I have too many good things in life for things not to go well, but in case the best isn't what happens tomorrow, I need to know that I'll have the support I need. I take a lot of value in my work and being able to make a difference in everything around me. If I have to stay in bed for a while I might lose it. All that hope and stamina. If you truly know me you know that I have to overwork myself, that I can't sit still, and that I need people in my life. If I'm stuck here please, please, please visit, call, or write me a letter! 

I want to thank everyone in my life for being amazing. I want you to know that I'm very proud of where we've made it to and that I look forward to our future! I'm a fighter, let's just hope my body is too! I get to the hospital tomorrow morning at 9 am, surgery is around 10:30. Umm.. Okay, I'm at a loss for words. Wait... I got it!

Whenever I start feeling sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead. True story.
See you all on the other side! =]

-Jennifer 

Don't ever forget to smile! Panda hat for the win. =)


















3 comments:

  1. Jen darling, I'm praying for you! Thanks for the pics (your doctors are right, it is cool! :P Sorry.) But I will be thrilled to hear its out of your body. Good luck tomorrow! Hoping the new plan a works. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes & prayers for tomorrow! Kick some serious cyst posterior!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be praying for you. All the best, and keep bein' awesome:D.

    ReplyDelete