Wind in the Cliffs of Dover

Wind in the Cliffs of Dover
Marvel Comics backpack, trench coat, blue scarf. A lovely windy day on the cliffs of Dover.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

We thought 9 mm was big.

This is me. 


I jump on fences wearing golden crowns and dresses. 
I am a bit crazy, but if you're reading this you probably already know that. And, you may be wondering: 


Why is Jen doing a blog?


Not that I don't usually share my personal life, but I don't usually share my personal life. But, we also know that people change... 
(queue eerie music)


It all started a year ago... 
If I start like that you know the story is epic or at least interesting. 



My mom took this photo. She took videos too, crazy lady!
Last May I had surgery to remove a benign ovarian tumor. I first  found out there was something wrong back in March, and like any normal person had been freaking out dreading all the tests that had to be done. Being the person that I am, I wasn't going to let this stop my life. No, I was so insistent on NOT letting this change anything that I decided to try and keep it a secret. I reluctantly told only the people I felt I had to: my coworkers, my closest of my closest friends and my parents. But even then, it was almost a month before the people that I cared the most about knew. This surgery did put a short halt in my life, but nothing big. Or so I thought. (dun dun dunnnnnnn!)

Almost a year later, why do I finally want to share this? Because the story didn't end. (dramatic pause) They never do. (other dramatic pause) A week after my surgery I went to the ER for a severe pain in my left side. Many doctors tried to figure out what was wrong, but the surgery was done on the lower right pf my abdomen and they couldn't think of a connection. After weeks and weeks it was decided that this sharp pain came from a strain in my left shoulder. I had torn the rotator once, and they figure the muscles compensating were hurting. So, I went to physical therapy for my shoulder, and yeah, it didn't help. 

But, life goes on and it's easy to ignore the pain in our lives. I went to Europe for the rest of the summer, and though I felt that tantalizing pain every day, I enjoyed the wonders of travelling abroad. It was distracting. It was good. 

But then school started, and the pain was always there. Always nagging. I had hated being in the hospital. I hated the tests, the needles, the bills. This was more then enough for me to ignore it. Until I spent Christmas break with the family. My parents are cool people. But don't make them angry. 

Angry Hispanic woman = do what she says if you value your life. (love you, mom!)

So, I listened to my mommy and the first week of school I went back to the doctor. To urgent care actually, because the pain had moved up to my lung. Yeah, now I was freaking out a bit. I realized that I've been really stupid to ignore this problem. We all know ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away. But who likes confrontation? especially with their body... 

After an x-ray, ct scan, and visit with a local surgeon I can now tell you with certainty what is wrong. I have a 19 cm cyst on my spleen. Yes, centimeters

We thought 9 mm was big
The first cyst was a surprise, where I had thought, how could I not notice something that is 9 mm in diameter? How did we not noticed something that is 19 cm in diameter?!?! Did it stealthily hide from my last MRI?

Seriously people, I tell you this because the second time is even more surprising. The second time I was not prepared for. Not that I was the first time, but you think, 'gee these things happen to people'. But, THIS doesn't happen to people. Go ahead, look it up, splenic cysts are extremely rare. Especially one the size of a baby head or my left boob! 

So, here is where I am. I will be heading out to Seattle sometime the next couple of weeks. I've been referred to the University of Washington because they have more experience working with spleens and they'll be more than happy to work/learn on me. My organs have shifted to make room for what I refer to as my 'baby head', and it's made eating, breathing, and sleeping difficult.They have no idea how I got it, but it is essential for it to be removed.  At this point they don't think they will be able to do the surgery laparoscopically because it's so big. So, I made the choice to drop some of my classes. And that's why I'll be graduating in 2013 instead of this June. 

I write this because i want my friends to know me. I don't want to do any of this alone. My body is doing a real good job in telling me to slow down. If you've spent any time with me you know that I tend to overwork myself. I pride myself in my ambition and and ability to be get through the impossible. This has been a crazy year for me. By far 2011 was the best and worst year of my life. It looks like 2012 wants to make a mark, too. I take this as a wake up call. 

In a fight for my sanity I have started this blog. I will post interesting things about my life, and the boring things (like if my ass atrophies while I lay vegetable-like in bed). I shall post photos and maybe even videos (probably not of my ass). I shall finally read the Harry Potter books, practice the guitar and gloving. And, I shall thank you for being my friends and sharing this part of my life with me through these blogs. 

Just remember this:
Life is beautiful. 
Don't let any experience tell you different.

Jenn 
=) 
And, If you wanna talk feel free to send me a message, a text, or something.

a look into my past: a look into my future



3 comments:

  1. Holy cow! I had no idea! Thanks for kicking me out of my own health-problem pity party --- I think I need to take a leaf out of your book and start living each day to the fullest, regardless of what it brings. Thanks for being such an inspiration, and best wishes for the road ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm showing my love and support in the form of following your blog. =]
    I and hoping and praying that everything goes well! Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love you Jen! you'll be just fine, just keep that positive outlook and it will take you a long ways. One of my favorite quotes applies more to the loss of a loved one, but I think in this case you're experiencing loss of a different kind - loss of the "normality" you're used to enjoying in life - pushing yourself, etc. "Only those who avoid Love avoid grief, the point is to learn from grief and remain vulnerable to Love". I feel like you are keeping your heart open and remaining vulnerable to the joys and sorrows that life will inevitably bring and that's really what's most important =)

    ReplyDelete